Colonel Augustine Warner first came to this country in 1628. He was Justice of York in 1650 and Justice of Gloucester in 1656. He named his house Warner Hall after the home of the Warners in England. The main part of the original house was consumed by fire in 1845, leaving only the two wings which are still standing. They are now connected with the present house.
In the Land Grant Records in Richmond, book 4, page 252, is this notation, “February 11th, 1657, 340 acres of land granted to Colonel Augustine Warner.” Of this grant 148 acres constitutes the present Warner Hall. Later he was given two other grants. Colonel Augustine Warner was the great-great-grandfather of George Washington. He died in 1674; his wife, Mary, in 1662, and their son, Augustine Warner, in 1681. They were all buried in the Warner Hall graveyard, also many of their descendants.