The Eyptian Building of the Medical College of Virginia, located at Marshall and College Streets, is one of a large group of college and hospital buildings a short distance north and east of the Capitol Square. This building, completed in 1845, is regarded as the finest example of Egyptian architecture in America. It was designed by Thomas S. Stewart of Philadelphia, who was also the architect of St. Paul’s Church in Richmond. Vines now obscure much of the rare Egyptian ornamentation over the windows and across the front and rear of the building. A palm-leaf design shows in the huge columns. In the posts of the iron fence the ancient mummy case is reproduced, and at the east entrance miniature obelisks guard the gateway.
> > Medical College Of Virginia